Sunday, October 12, 2008

TRI-STATE 100

In August, Ryan was looking online and came across a bike race that was going to be held in Dothan. He showed me and told me that I should do it. I wasn't so sure since I never had done a race before. You could choose between the 25 mile, 60 mile, or 100 mile race. I knew right off that the 100 mile race was out! So I figured I would try the 60 mile race. It was scheduled for August 23rd. I had about 2 weeks to mentally prepare. I had already been riding 3 days a week for awhile so I hoped that I would be ready physically and not make a fool out of myself. Well a few days later I found out that I was pregnant! From past pregnancies I knew that I would be starting to feel like crap right around when the bike race was scheduled. I decided to go ahead with the race and if I felt like crap the day of then I wouldn't do it. Well on the 22nd the race got postponed till the following week because of a Hurricane that was about to make land fall in Florida and Alabama on the 23rd. After I found that out I thought that I was not going to do the race. I thought for sure I would have my head over the toilet by the next weekend. I guess I mentally talked my body into feeling decent by the time the race came. So on Saturday morning Ryan and I headed down to the race. There was a good crowd of riders that showed up and I started to get a little nervous. The race started and off I went. The route had three pit stops along the way that I was great full for. I stopped at each one, scarfed down some snacks, and headed out again. I buddied up with a guy from Dothan and we took turns taking the head wind which I was also great full for. Well come the 50 mile mark I hit a wall (not literally, but physically) My pregnant body was done, but I was not. I kept going. I had to sit upright as much as I could so I wouldn't throw up. The last 10 miles were slow but I finished! I couldn't believe that I did it! I did the race in 4 hours and was the first female to finish. I can't wait to do it next year!!!




















I have a smile on my face because this was the beginning.





















These 3 guys were amazing! They blew everyone away
and finished way before any one else.


















This senior citizen, bless his heart, decided to tackle the
60 mile race with his beach cruiser and all!
What is funny is that he was in the lead for quite some time.
He didn't stop at any of the pit stops which caught up with him towards the end.























Having just entered the beautiful state of Florida

5 comments:

Jenny H said...

You are kidding me...Bike race and pregnant.
Congrats on both accounts.
Now I feel really unambitious:)

Tia said...

Micah...you are amazing!! Congrats on the pregnancy, that is exciting. And I can't even imagine riding 1 mile on my bike, let alone wanting to throw up. You are an inspiration to us all!!

p.s. are you coming out for Christmas? We need to plan our get together when you can come this year :)

Jess said...

Congrats on the pregnancy! That is exciting. 60 miles... wow! I can't even ride a bike. It must have something to do with my awkward stage of uncordination that I have never grown out of! If you do come home for christmas, let me know. I would love to hang our with you too! I miss you

hill family said...

Micah,
Hey, it's Christy Hill. I'm so glad I found your blog. I can't believe all the adventures your family has been on. Look at how fit you are. And pregnant too? Are you kidding me that you could do that race while pregnant? Did you ever know that you're my hero?

James & Heidi said...

Uh... I feel the same way as Jenny. WAY TO GO Micah!